- WHY NSS?
Objectives of the Special Camping programme
The primary objectives of the special camping programmes are:-
- Making education more relevant to the present situation to meet the felt needs of the
communities and supplement the education of university/college/school students by
bringing them face to face with the community situation.
- To provide opportunities to students to play their due roles in the implementation of
various development "programmes by planning and executing development projects,
which not only help in creating durable community assets in rural areas and slums but
also result in improvement of the condition of weaker sections of the communities.
- Encouraging the students and non-students youth to work along with the adults in
rural areas, thereby developing their character, social consciousness and commitment,
discipline ad healthy and helpful attitudes towards the community:
- Building up potential youth leaders by exploring the latent potential among the
campers, both students as well as local youth (rural and urban), with a view to involve
them more intimately in development projects for longer periods. The local leadership
generated during the camps would also be useful in ensuring proper maintenance of
the assets created as a result of the camps.
- Emphasizing the dignity of labour and self-help and the need for combining physical
work with intellectual pursuits, and
- Encouraging youth to participate enthusiastically in the process of national
development, and promote national integration through democratic living and
- Environment Enrichment and Conservation: Whereas the main theme for the special camping
programme would be "Youth for Sustainable Development", activities aimed at environment -
enrichment would be organized under the sub-theme of" Youth for Better Environment".